Manufacturers and suppliers play a very important role in businesses. They sell finished goods to wholesalers, consumers, retailers, and distributors who want to create items that are more complex. Manufacturers mainly deal with one type of product. Meaning a business that sells more than one type of product is most likely to deal with several manufacturers.
Choosing the wrong manufacturer might kill a good business idea. The right manufacturer will always influence the product quality and how you serve your clients. If they supply the goods to you on time, then that means your clients will be served on time. The following tips will help you find the right manufacturer for your products.
Choosing Where To Source Your Products
The road to finding the right manufacturer starts with deciding whether you want to get your products from local or overseas manufacturers. If you opt for overseas manufacturers, you don’t have to travel all the way there to get your products. That would be so expensive and time-consuming. You can simply go for a local manufacturer of the same product or use a trusted shipping agent.
Going for a local manufacturer is better since there is no language barrier and you can visit the factory directly and talk to them in person. As much as products from overseas may seem cheaper, bear in mind the shipping cost. Overseas shipping only becomes cheaper for higher volumes of goods than in lower volumes. Generally, if your product is high in volume opt for overseas but if your product is high value, it is better to go local.
Finding A Manufacturer
After deciding whether to go for local or overseas manufacturers, you need to find a manufacturer. You need to come up with a list of manufacturers before choosing one. Manufacturers can be found through referrals, online manufacturer directories, social media, or Google.
- The online manufacturer directories. It provides a list of several manufacturer profiles that you can easily browse and choose from. Most of the manufacturers from these directories are vetted and renewed. That is enough assurance that the person you are about to deal with is legitimate. The manufacturers can easily be searched in these directories by their specific regions.
- Referrals. You can also use referrals to get a manufacturer. Approach someone in your profession or field of work and ask them for recommendations from potential manufacturers. Some manufacturers that you will speak to may also refer you to others that provide the specific services you need.
- Social Media and forums are also powerful tools used in finding information in your niche. There is an option of using search engines to find active forums that discuss the products and manufacturers you are looking for. You can also use social media platforms like Facebook to look for groups specifically dedicated to the kind of products you are looking for.
- Trade shows. You can also attend trade shows where different manufacturers showcase their products and choose one of them as your partner. Cities like Las Vegas organize a lot of such shows where they partner with different organizations, for example, the Las Vegas trade show booth builders who help in installing booths used to showcase products. Approach the booth with the kind of products you need and find out more about those specific manufacturers.
- Google. Last but not least, google can also give you a list of manufacturers you can choose from. Though many manufacturers don’t update their websites, you can get a list that you can choose from. Search for manufacturers with the combination of the name of the product you intend to source.
Verifying Your Manufacturer’s Quality
Once you have a list of manufacturers, it is now the right time to verify whether they are credible. Vet each of them properly before deciding on which one to work with. Don’t assume any red flags. Read the previous clients’ reviews about the manufacturers.
Look at the picture of some of their products. It could be designer buckets, food packaging, or any other products they manufactured. Relate those specific products with what you need, If they match your expectations then go for that specific manufacturer.
Request For A Formal Quote
After verifying the quality of products your manufacturers provide, it is important to ask for formal quotes. Ask for formal quotes from the manufacturer. It is very important to know the minimum order quantity, price per unit, the turnaround time, and the payment terms of your choice of manufacturer. Ensure that you agree on how and when to make your order.
Generally, we have a lot of manufacturers for different products, and choosing the best from them all can be a bit challenging. The process itself is long and needs a lot of patience. But with proper evaluation, you will be able to get a chance to work with manufacturers who are worth your effort and price.
In case you choose to source your products from international manufacturers, consider working with trusted air and sea shipping agents to avoid delays and classes of losing goods.