Dental radiographs or X-rays are images of the teeth which the dentist uses for evaluating oral health. They use low-level radiation for capturing the pictures of the gums and teeth. It helps the dentist identify the problems, which encompasses tooth decay, cavities, and impacted teeth. Although dental X-rays may sound complicated, they are a popular tool, just like other diagnostic methods.
A patient must go for these X-rays ideally once a year. It is a dentist’s method for understanding the progress of a particular treatment and any dental problem. There are specific factors that determine how often a person must go for dental X-rays. These encompass the age, current oral health, history of gum disease, and oral disease symptoms. In case a person is a new patient, they have to undergo a dental X-ray to enable the dentist to get a clear picture of the interior of the mouth. On the other hand, children may have to go for this process because they are more prone to developing oral issues. It is imperative to note that you must take dental problems seriously to prevent further complications.
The different types of X-rays
Various types of dental X-rays are available with slight modifications in their procedure. However, the most common ones are as follows:
- Bitewing: The procedure involves biting on a particular piece of paper to enable the dentist to view how well the teeth match to the crown. It is the most common method used for checking cavities between the teeth.
- Occlusal: It is a type of X-ray performed in case the jaw is closed beneath. It helps the dentist to see the lining in the bottom and upper teeth. Also, it may help in detecting anatomical abnormalities on the floor of the mouth.
- Occlusal: It is a technique used for capturing the entire interior of the mouth in just one shot. It is the procedure used by emergency dental services in Denver as a highly reliable technique for evaluating dental issues. Patients who developed severe oral problems can opt for this.
- Panoramic: It is a unique sort of X-ray where a machine rotates over the patient’s head. The dentist mainly uses special equipment for checking the growth of wisdom teeth and thereby plans for the implanting dental procedures. Moreover, people who have jaw problems can use this for proper diagnosis. It is a highly formal technique used for providing the dentist with reliable input.
- Periapical: The technique focuses on two teeth at a time, right from the crown route. It gives a detailed picture of one tooth to the dentist, which is useful for studying cavities.
The role of a dental hygienist is to guide a patient through each step of the process. During the procedure, the patient is under the constant supervision of a medical professional. The dentist uses film holders or spacers for adjusting the mouth to obtain proper images.
How safe are dental X-rays for kids?
Dental X-rays undoubtedly are a crucial tool used by the dentist to locate, identify, and diagnose a particular problem. The same applies in the case of children with jawbones, teeth, and other issues. Parents have many reservations when it comes to exposing their children to the radiation of the X-ray procedure. However, it is a safe option for evaluating the child’s overall oral health with proper precision and care.
Parents feel X-ray can help detect the problem regarding the spacing in the jaws of the child, to find the root cause of dental issues, it maps the requirements of the child’s teeth and other complicated procedures.
It is imperative to note that the amount of radiation to which a child is exposed needs to be minimum. They are provided with an apron during the X-ray access to protect their body from the radiation. However, there is no reason to be worried about the child’s exposure to the radiation as the process gets conducted under extreme supervision. You can consult an emergency dentist for kids who are specially equipped and have all the advanced equipment for taking care of your child’s dental health. They are highly popular for their children-friendly clinics and homelike environment.
It comes without saying that the parents must make provisions for the same as fast as possible for children who require dental care. Any delay and callous attitude on the parts of the parents is not justified.
The development of a proper attitude is essential that might help the child deal with the problem. For this, constant observation of the child and reasonable care for their overall wellbeing is vital. It would help if you did not hesitate to visit a dentist as it is essential to take care of dental issues as it might turn into a significant health issue later. If you treat it immediately, then it might heal faster.