Everything You Need to Know About Ridesharing in 2021
Ridesharing is a huge player in the world of transportation, with giants like Uber and Lyft dominating the market. Long gone are the days of having to hail a taxi, now you can book a ride from your cell phone screen and have a car waiting in minutes.
But the ridesharing world isn’t just about the big companies – there are a variety of other solutions and opportunities for all kinds of organizations. And with technology and people’s habits constantly changing, you’ve got to keep up with the latest trends and changes. Here’s everything you need to know about ridesharing in 2021.
How does ridesharing work?
Ridesharing is a fairly simple thing, and is a service that arranges one-way transportation on short notice. Drivers often use their own vehicles and can work independently and flexibly too.
The process of booking a rideshare is super easy too. Usually there is an app that you can use to see if there are any drivers near your location, displayed on a map. The drivers in your vicinity will be able to accept your booking and then come and pick you up, and transport you to your destination. All the payment and booking is covered in the app, so there’s no worry about payment once you arrive.
Anyone can start a ridesharing program
Ridesharing isn’t just for the Ubers and Lyfts of the world – the reality is that anyone can start a ridesharing program. They’re great initiatives for universities, youth organizations and more to offer a safe, cheaper and eco-friendly way to travel.
Precautions to take while using a ridesharing service
Perhaps the most worrying part of ridesharing is the lack of security. Unlike with a taxi service where drivers are employees of the company and their routes are tracked and monitored because they drive company-owned vehicles, rideshare drivers aren’t heavily monitored. Whilst ridesharing companies do carry out background checks to ensure that their drivers are trustworthy, there is still a risk that someone could be dangerous. This is why it’s extremely important to do the following when you use ridesharing services:
- Verify the identity of the driver and confirm your booking before getting in the vehicle
- Check the driver’s review score before accepting the ride
- Trust your instincts – if something feels off then don’t get in the vehicle
- Tell someone you trust that you’re catching a ride
What are the trends in ridesharing for 2021?
The world is constantly changing and evolving, so each year brings a new set of trends and shifts in the way we live. We also can’t ignore the impact of COVID-19 on every industry, transportation included. So here are some of the trends we’re expecting for 2021:
- Less people own cars due to staying at home more or because they live in cities, so ridesharing programs will be suitable for more densely populated areas.
- With the ongoing coronavirus spread, public transportation will remain the least desired mode of transportation, so providing that ridesharing companies comply with Covid safety and hygiene regulations, there is still a big market for ridesharing.