How to Bake Pandoro: Traditional Italian Christmas Cake (Recipe)
Christmas is almost here! From decorating homes and shopping to inviting friends for a party, there are many things to take care of to ensure you have a memorable time with loved ones. Whether you are from Italy or thinking of celebrating Christmas the Italian way, you need to add a traditional Italian Christmas cake recipe to your list of things to do.
When it comes to traditional cakes from the European country, panettone and pandoro are two of the most favorite ones from the region. People in the country and across the continent have been baking these sweet bread loaves for the last many years.
Panettone was originated in Milan. It comes with ingredients like flour and lots of candied fruits and raisins. However, pandoro is favored by many for its eight-pointed star section and delicacy. In addition, you don’t need to add lots of nuts to your cake.
Here, you will learn how to bake pandoro Italian Christmas cake and add a delicious touch to the festival and impress your guests with your baking skills:
Here, you need to collect ingredients in two sections: for the cake and for the mold.
For the Cake
- Baker’s yeast (20 grams)
- All-purpose flour (300 grams)
- Egg yolks (5)
- 1 whole egg
- Granulated sugar (120 grams)
- Unsalted butter (200 grams)
- 1 zested lemon
- Powdered sugar (30 grams)
- Vanilla extract (1 teaspoon)
- Cream (½ cup)
For the Mold
- All-purpose flour (2 tablespoons)
- Unsalted butter (2 tablespoons)
Steps to Bake Pandoro
Once you have collected the ingredients, you can move to the process of using them for baking your Italian Christmas Cake.
- Begin with mixing yeast and flour in a large bowl. Now, add one egg yolk, sugar (1 tablespoon), and water to the mix to get a soft dough. Cover the mix and leave it for around two hours.
- Take flour (1 1/3 cups) and combine it with sugar (1/4 cup). Now, put the dough on the top of the mix and add egg yolks (3) with butter (3 tablespoons) to it. Make a ball of dough. Take a large bowl and shift the dough to it.
- After keeping it in the bowl for around two hours, get it back to the work surface. Now, add the lemon zest and vanilla extract to the mixture.
- Spread the dough and add the butter in smaller bits. Now, roll the dough and keep in its current position for around 30 minutes.
- Prepare the mold with butter and flour. Add the dough to the mold and remove extra flour. Cover the mold for a few minutes.
- Preheat the oven and bake the pandoro for 30 minutes. Now, unmold the cake and let it cool.
- Decorate it with powdered sugar.
Pandoro is a favorite Christmas cake for many Italians. Apart from that, people from other countries are also trying the bake the traditional Italian sweet at their home. It also makes one of the most sumptuous Christmas sweet gifts to give them to their loved ones.
Apart from trying the traditional Italian Christmas cake recipe, you can buy pandoro from a reputed online store and get the cake at your doorstep. While getting the cake, you need to ensure that the product is made in Italy by a reputed brand that uses traditional recipes to bake the cake. Apart from that, the store must be a reputed place online to get Italian products online.
Whether you bake pandoro at home using the recipe or buy it online from a store, it is going to add more sweetness to your Christmas.