As consumers, we are given a wide range of choices in the types of products that we can purchase and consume. If you ingest any CBD product, either as a longtime user or recent convert, you have the choice to purchase vegan-organic CBD edibles. These are not only more beneficial to your health, but the process of cultivating and manufacturing the ingredients will leave a smaller carbon footprint.
CBD & Its Uses
Cannabidiol (CBD) is a natural and safe extract of the cannabis plant. It is part of a group of chemical compounds known as cannabinoids that have a multitude of beneficial effects on the human body. These effects are primarily achieved via CBD’s interaction with the endocannabinoid system (ECS). The ECS is a biological system in your body that regulates and controls a variety of processes, including:
- Immune function
Consequently, CBD is useful in treating:
- Chronic anxiety/depression by regulating the levels of crucial neurotransmitters like serotonin, dopamine, and anandamide.
- Diarrhea, nausea, and/or vomiting as well as gastrointestinal disorders like Crohn’s disease.
- General cardiovascular health as well as maintaining levels of healthy cholesterol.
- Insomnia as well as keeping healthy and stable cycles of sleep.
- Dysfunction in your immune system, including auto-immune disorders like arthritis and various forms of cancer.
- Neurological disorders like dementia, multiple sclerosis, or epilepsy due to its properties as a neuroprotectant.
- Diabetes and obesity by maintaining healthy blood sugar levels and modulating hormone levels that govern appetite.
- Osteoporosis by strengthening our skeletal system and maintaining bone density.
- Various skin conditions like dermatitis, particularly if used orally or sublingually as well as topically.
- Cellular deterioration and aging due to its antioxidant properties.
- Various medical conditions that cause acute or chronic pain and inflammation.
As you can see, CBD has a wide variety of uses. In fact, many researchers and clinicians refer to it as a multi-target therapy for this very reason. If you are searching for some premium vegan CBD edibles check out Cheef Botanicals to easily buy CBD online.
Common Vegan-Organic CBD Edible Ingredients
In order to understand why vegan-organic edibles are so beneficial for patients, it is useful to consider what “organic” actually means. There is a certain amount of variation in the application of the term, but generally a foodstuff is considered organic if it avoids the use of various “synthetic chemical inputs”, including:
- Food additives
- Genetically modified seed
Furthermore, the production of the foodstuff in question should also avoid the use of sewage sludge (also known as biosolids) as a cost-cutting measure to irrigate agricultural fields and deliver fertilizing nutrients.
The process of irradiation may also be used, in which a crop is exposed to X-rays, UV waves, heavy-ion beams, and/or gamma rays in order to prevent sprouting, control pests, or genetically engineer the plant in question.
Vegan-organic CBD edibles will generally use the following ingredients:
- Water – This is a basic building block of food production and is always good for you!
- Organic cane sugar and/or organic brown rice syrup – These are used as natural sweeteners and are healthier alternatives to high-fructose corn syrup (which is present in the majority of processed foods).
- Pectin – Also known as gelling sugar, this is a setting agent that is a sweet byproduct of fruit pulp and is used as an alternative to gelatin.
- Citric acid – This byproduct of citrus fruits (lemons, oranges, limes, etc.) is a weak organic acid that is a natural preservative.
- Natural flavors – This is an all-encompassing term that may mean any number of things. Most frequently it refers to using heat or enzymolysis (any natural chemical process using enzymes) to extract the essential oil, oleoresin, or distillate of pre-existing foodstuffs like fruits, vegetables, or spices. In other words, you take an edible substance and extract its essence to isolate its taste.
- Natural oil – This is most frequently sunflower seed oil (specifically high oleic sunflower oil) that is used to keep the final formulation stable and to keep bacteria from colonizing it to feed on the natural sugars. In other words, it helps the pectin set the gummy product and keeps it from going rancid when stored or distributed.
- Natural colors – These are usually made from fruit and vegetable concentrates, including apple, blackcurrant, carrot, and/or pumpkin.
Using these natural ingredients will maximize the health benefits you can get out of regularly ingesting your CBD gummies.
Common non-vegan CBD Edible Ingredients
Common ingredients used in non-vegan and non-organic CBD edibles include:
- Animal byproducts
- High-fructose corn syrup
- Genetically modified organisms (known as GMOs)
- Artificial flavors
- Artificial colors
It should be noted that gelatin, which acts as the binding agent for non-vegan, non-organic edibles (and which gives them the “gummy” texture) is an animal byproduct. It is manufactured by boiling the bones, cartilage, and skin of livestock in order to render the collagen out and set the final product.
Many of these ingredients have been linked to adverse health effects. For example, studies have shown that the use of high-fructose corn syrup as a sweetener correlates with increased rates of diabetes. Other studies have demonstrated a link between the use of artificial colors and the prevalence of migraines in the sample population.
Why Vegan Organic CBD Edibles Are the Healthy Choice
By deciding to incorporate CBD into your wellness regimen, you have taken an important first step in helping your body be as fit and healthy as possible. Why spoil that choice by using CBD products that have potentially unhealthy ingredients or additives? This is the goal of using any CBD product that is organic: to maximize your health and wellness while attending to any underlying condition that you may be suffering from.
Furthermore, by ingesting a vegan product, you are ensuring that it was grown, cultivated, and manufactured cruelty-free. In other words, no animals were harmed in the long process that begins with planting a hemp seed and ends with delivering a bottle of edible gummies to your doorstep.
There are so many other foodstuffs that unnecessarily subject animals to cruel degradations and leave huge carbon footprints; by making the choice to use a vegan product, you are making a small but noticeable difference in the wider world!