While breast implants can help you achieve fuller and well-defined breasts, you may need a longer recovery time because foreign objects will be inserted into your breasts. If you want to achieve natural breasts with a modest increase in size but without the implants, natural breast augmentation might be right for you. Also known as breast fat transfer, this minimally invasive procedure makes use of liposuction to harvest unwanted fatty tissue in your body, and then the fat is purified and reinjected into problem areas of your breasts to add volume and fullness.
The Natural Breast Augmentation Procedure
Before the procedure, you will undergo a consultation to assess your general health and expectations. This will help determine if you are a potential candidate for the procedure.
On the day of the procedure, you will receive either local or general anaesthesia to minimize discomfort. The fat will be then harvested from your abdomen, flanks, thighs, or hips through a body contouring procedure known as liposuction. After harvesting the fat, it will be processed in the laboratory to purify it. This helps remove impurities such as blood, oils, and tissue fluid.
The purified fat will be then stored in vials and will be injected into breast areas that need additional volume and fullness.
According to Cosmos Clinic, the injected fat may be reabsorbed by your body causing your breasts to lose some or all of their volume over time. To achieve the best results, you will need to undergo 4 to 6 sessions.
Pros of Natural Breast Augmentation Procedure
There are several advantages of choosing breast augmentation to address your concerns. These include the following:
- Sculpts your body: Natural breast augmentation has the additional benefit of sculpting the donor sites by removing unwanted fatty tissue from the problem areas. This significantly improves the contour of the area while providing adequate amounts of fat for breast enhancement.
- Requires shorter recovery time: The procedure is minimally invasive, has a lower risk of complications, and requires very small incisions so you should expect a shorter healing time. In just a few weeks, you can return to your work and daily routine.
- Achieves natural results: By using your own body fat and preserving the breast and nipple sensation, the procedure gives a more natural look and feel. It also produces discreet results because it is designed to achieve a modest increase in your breast size.
- Produces less scarring: Natural breast augmentation only needs very small incisions (one-eighth of an inch to a half inch) and the purified fat is administered through injections, resulting in less scarring. In addition, the incisions are strategically created in the natural folds of your skin to reduce scar visibility.
- Needs minimal maintenance: Unlike breast implants which need to be removed or replaced once they reached their expiration date, natural breast augmentation does not require any foreign objects and special maintenance. The procedure does not need special imaging techniques like MRI to check for any complications.
Cons of Natural Breast Augmentation Procedure
As with any medical procedure, natural breast augmentation has also disadvantages such as the following:
- Produces a limited degree of breast augmentation: The procedure can only achieve a modest increase in your breast size by 1 to 2 cup sizes. This is because the injection of more fat than can be supported by the blood supply of your breasts increases the risk of the formation of hardened lumps or cysts.
- Requires commitment to a healthy lifestyle: Following natural breast augmentation, you will need to commit to regular exercise and a healthy diet as future weight gain can cause the fat cells in your breasts to increase in size. On the other hand, losing a significant amount of weight can cause the fat cells to shrink, which can alter the results of the procedure.
- Lacks the ability to lift the breasts: The procedure does not produce a lifting effect on your breasts. If you have severe breast sagging, you may need to consider surgery to lift the excess skin and improve the position of your breasts.
- Needs multiple sessions to achieve the desired results: Even if an appropriate amount of fat is injected into your breasts and all conditions are ideal, only 70-80% of the fat cells will survive. Therefore, you will need to undergo 4 to 6 sessions to achieve the best clinical outcome.
- Requires extra fat available in the body: To achieve your desired cup size, you will need at least 1,000 milliliters of pure fat harvested from your body. Thus, you should have an adequate amount of fat in your abdomen, flanks, thighs, or hips.
Knowing the pros and cons of natural breast augmentation can help speed up your decision-making process. It also allows you to consider your options with regards to your breast condition and desired clinical outcome.