How to Measure Glass for Window Replacement?
Do you know how to measure glass for a window? This can save you time and money while waiting for technicians to come to your house and take measurements themselves. If your glass window cracked, got broken or you just want to change windows, you will have to know the glass height and length. It’s quite easy, you won’t need a lot of tools and this skill will help you in the future if you decide to replace a window or help someone to do it. You can order replacement glass for window service or try doing it yourself but by being careful and having the right tools. The key to do the job successfully and take correct measurements is to carefully remove the old glass first.
Guide to Removing Old Glass and Taking Measurements
So, if you want to measure window glass, follow our guide and find what tools you need to have to complete such a project yourself:
- You should start by removing the old glass from the window. This can be quite complicated, so you shouldn’t rush and do it when your kids or pets are not around just for the sake of safety. You will need to wear leather work gloves in order to protect your hands. You will also need special safety goggles to protect your eyes.
- A good piece of advice that you can’t skip is applying masking tape across the glass from both sides.
- The tape will keep the glass from shattering into too many pieces when you have to hit it with a hammer.
- Remove the broken glass from the frame. Use a rubber hammer to break the glass. Those pieces that still remain in the frame can be removed manually. Move each piece that is lodged back and forth until they are loose and gets easily removed from the frame. Wear leather gloves all the time.
- You may need to keep a piece of the glass in order to find the type of glass. Measure thickness of glass to know what type of glass you had if you want to install the same glass again.
- The following step is to use a screwdriver or putty knife to remove the wooden or metal sash depending on the type of the frame. There can be a lot of small pieces of glass that is important to get rid of for proper installation of new glass.
- Measure glass size by taking two inside edge width measurements, one at the top and one at the bottom. Take two inside edge length measurements, one at the left side and one at the right side of the frame after.
- Write down the smallest width and smallest length measurements. Take off 1/8 inch from each measurement. Usually, frames swell in warm climate and contract in cold climate. This is why it’s important to subtract 1/8 inch to ensure a proper fit of the glass in the frame.
So there are the steps that you should follow if you want to remove the damaged glass and prepare a frame for installing new glass. Don’t rush when taking off and measuring window glass since even a single mistake can cost you money and take more time until a new glass gets installed. Check all measurements twice before getting the new glass and asking a professional to cut it.
Here is the list of all the necessary tools that you will need for the project:
- leather gloves for working with broken glass
- safety goggles
- measuring tape
- screwdriver or putty knife
- rubber hummer
- pen and paper
Get all the tools in advance and prepare your working place to measure glass for window replacement. If necessary, cover the floor in the room with plastic sheeting, so small and sharp glass pieces can’t scratch the floor. If you have a rug, remove it since small and invisible pieces of glass can get stuck in fabrics and hurt feet later on.
Professional Measure Window Glass Size Service
If you don’t have free time to take glass measurements yourself, don’t have the right tools or wouldn’t like to do such a thing yourself, then you should invite professional technicians who would do it quicker, safer and more precise. ARAX Windows can take your old broken glass off, take glass measurements, order a new glass and install it.
Our experienced workmen will come to your home as soon as possible and safely remove the old glass and cracked parts. Our specialists have all the necessary tools and equipment to measure the width, height, and length of the glass to make sure that the new glass arrives of the right sizing. It’s very important to be accurate as the glass can’t be changed once it’s custom made. This is why we would recommend you to use our service and get the correct measurements for making a quick and right choice.
Get Free Quote Today and Find How Much Replacing New Glass Cost
If you have a damaged single glazed, double pane, or sliding window, emergency glass repair is required. Our installers can visit your property on the short notice. Get a free quotation by contacting our friendly customer support managers now and we will offer you the closest date and time when our technicians can finally get rid of your old broken glass and help you to choose a new one.