5 Reasons Why Your Home Should Undergo Radon Gas Testing
Similar to getting your annual health checkups, your own home must also undergo its own testing to know whether or not it is safe to live in it. Whether your home is a new home or not, you should have it checked for structural damage, water damage and molds, pest infestation, and, one of the most important but often neglected, radon contamination. You can look for the company like radonmitigationpdx.com – Radon Gas Mitigation Company who are expert in the field.
What is radon?
Radon is a radioactive noble gas. It’s odorless, tasteless, and invisible. It naturally comes from the breakdown of uranium in rocks and soil. Often, radon gas enters your home through openings in the ground, especially cracks in the foundation or small openings in pipes. Radon is only detected through specialized tests.
Why should you test your home for radon? Here are the reasons:
1.Radon gas is harmful to your health
Being a radioactive chemical, radon undergoes decay and releases decay products that can cause grave damage to the lung tissue. The greater your exposure to radon, the higher your risk of developing lung cancer. Radon is one of the key causes of lung cancer for nonsmokers; a radon score of 10 is the same as smoking a pack of cigarettes a day. Left unchecked in homes, it can cause serious health problems to you and your family. Test your home for radon now before it harms your family’s health.
2.Radon is commonly found in homes
Radon has been found common in many homes all over the world. Because this gas moves from the ground up, radon can be trapped inside your home. Any house (or building), whether new or old, can have radon contamination in the air.
Because you spend most of your time at home, you will most likely get the highest radon exposure while you’re in it. This is why it is important to regularly test your home for radon because you and your family may be at risk without you knowing it. Isn’t it nice to rest in your home after a long day at work knowing that you and your family are safe?
3.Radon cannot be detected with the five senses
Because radon is a radioactive gas, you cannot detect it using just your senses of smell, sight, and taste. Hence, it is left unnoticed if not checked; you would not know that your house is already contaminated with radon gas. The only way to detect radon in your home is to perform radon gas testing. To prevent any respiratory problems for you and your family, it is best to have your home undergo regular radon gas testing every year.
4.Radon contamination decreases your home’s value
If you plan on selling your property in the future, you must test your home for radon. The radon level of a property is one of the deciding factors of buyers nowadays and it can make or break your attempt to sell your home. Home buyers are more at ease when they see that the radon gas test results of your home are from reputable and qualified professionals and are at acceptable levels.
Doing radon testing every year will also save you the cost of repairing your home and spending a significant amount all at once. Before radon gas contamination becomes too high, you can already prevent it by installing a radon reduction system. So, make radon testing part of the preparations you do when selling your home.
5.Radon testing is very simple
If you suspect your home to be affected by high levels of radon, you have to get your property tested at once. Radon testing is convenient and simple, so why not have it done? You only have to put a plastic detector almost the size of a cookie in your living room, bedroom, and basement, especially if your basement gets humid most of the time. Leave this plastic detector for three months. After three months, the radon level will be calculated in the device. If you know what the status of radon gas is in your house, you can take the necessary steps to reduce radon contamination at its onset.
Now that you know the reasons your home should undergo radon gas testing, do not waste any more time. As you can see, radon is a chemical you would not want to be in your homes as it poses a great danger to you and your family. If you think you are exposed to radon, be sure to check with your doctor immediately.