Usually, mold removal, or mold remediation, is considered a job for cleaning professionals. It’s particularly tough to pull off, especially if you want to get rid of all the mold and ensure that it is unlikely to return. This is why there is an entire industry that has sprung up around mold removal. However, there are some instances where you can take care of the mold yourself.
If the mold is a new development or it is very small and isolated, then you can remove it on your own many times and not have to bring in professionals to remove it for you. Here are a few tips to ensure that you carry out the remediation properly.
Clean the Area Thoroughly
You can get rid of visible mold using typical household cleaners. An all-purpose cleaner is good for making the mold easy to wipe off with a rag and should kill a lot of the mold spores. Typical household cleaners are also decent disinfectants, and a big part of ensuring that mold never comes back or that it at least doesn’t grow for a while is simply killing as many mold spores as you can. These spores are what the mold uses to take root and start growing again says Michael from LAHouseCleaners.
Ventilate the Area
Make sure that while you work, you re providing ample ventilation to the room where the mold is. You want any spores in the room to be aired out the window or through your vents. You are trying to keep mold outdoors, and you have to realize that if mold is in the air it will be practically invisible. Make sure the ventilation is plentiful before you get started. You can open windows, set up a fan and turn on the vents to keep airflow going through the room and to ensure that mold spores are pushed outside.
Use a Mold Killer
There are a number of effective disinfectants and specially mold killers that are good at destroying the invisible mold spores. You want to spray this solution on the area the mold was found and in the nearby vicinity. You are trying to kill as many spores as possible, and you won’t be able to see all of them, which is why it is necessary to cover a wide area.
Wear Protective Equipment
As you work to get rid of mold, you want to avoid getting mold in your lungs and sinus cavities. You can wear PPE, such as a face mask, protective suit and gloves as you work. If you have an allergic reaction to the mold, it is advisable to stop working and to call in a professional at that point to handle it for you.
Some people also react to the cleaners that they use, which is why you should be wearing gloves and a mask and work in a well ventilated area as you clean.
You can get rid of mold quickly and effectively on your own if there is only a small presence. For larger mold growths, you will have to hire an expert to do the remediation for you.