Whether it’s because other pressing items take priority or because there simply aren’t enough hours in the day, you might not give window maintenance the attention it deserves. But without proper care, your windows can deteriorate quickly. Treat window care with importance and make cleaning and maintenance a priority. Especially as we slowly climb out of the winter months, there’s been plenty of time for dust and dirt to collect in and around your window frames.
When Is It Time for New Windows?
Without knowing it, you could be glossing over important warning signs of window wear and tear. Pay attention to your windows and be on the lookout for serious window damage like frame rot and water staining. Not sure how to spot the signs you need to consider replacing your windows in your home? Here are some common window problems that, if present, could mean it’s time for a new window installation.
- You can feel, hear, or see a window draft
- Condensation collects between window panes (meaning a leak in the seal)
- Your glass is visibly cracked or broken
- You struggle to open and close your windows
- Your energy bill is too high because your heating and cooling system is working overtime
Clean Windows Last Longer
There’s more to keeping your windows clean than making sure things look good. Clean windows are better insulators and ventilators than models with built-up dirt and debris. Newer models of windows are typically low-maintenance, which is another reason why you might want to consider upgrading your current models.
Take Care of Window Treatments
To keep your windows looking great you need to take good care of their treatments. There’s no single way to handle this task since you could have that is, the curtains, drapes, or blinds in your home, but you can probably find care instructions on the fabric tag for your treatments. It might be that your curtains are machine washable, but in some cases a quick trip to the dry cleaners might be required.
If you’re curious about what kind of care your window treatments need, here is a simple guide that can get you started. For window treatments that can be wiped down with a damp cloth, you only need a solution of mild dish soap and warm water to get the job done.
- Roman shades: With the brush attachment and low-suction setting, vacuum away the dust and dirt that’s collected on these window treatments.
- Curtains and drapes: Use a low-suction setting to remove dust and then follow the washing instructions for the curtains. You could do it yourself or visit the dry cleaners.
- Wood blinds: Use a duster to collect dry dust and then go in with a damp cloth to wipe the slats completely clean.
- Aluminum or vinyl blinds: Similar to cleaning wooden blinds, you can use a duster or a vacuum on low suction to remove dust before using a damp cloth to wipe the slats clean.
Enjoy Your Home and Its Windows
Enjoy the warm sunlight and cool breezes of spring by taking care of your windows now. You’ll have one less thing to worry about during the summertime. By keeping moisture, dirt, and dust at bay, you can keep your windows looking fresh and your home will feel airy and bright, too.