There are different materials are available on the market for your roof. Only the right material can protect your roof plus it takes low-maintenance. Nowadays, roof materials come in different designs and styles as well.
Compared to other materials for your roof, the metal material is lightweight also, this is very energy efficient. The best thing about the metal roofing material is – this won’t decompose like other roofing materials.
Metal material roofs are very durable and they come with 30 to 50 years of warranty. It would be ideal to choose metal materials if you are thinking of purchasing materials for the roof.
Types of Metal Materials for Roofing
When it comes to choosing the metal materials for your roof, the first step is – you should choose the best metal. And if you are thinking of which metal roof to go with, 5 materials options are available for you. Read on the different materials and choose the best one for your roof.
This is the most popular material for roofing. Steel is made from iron including other elements and this is the most common material that you may found in residential building.
Steel is an incredibly green building material for your roof since this can be recycled. Steel also comes in three types, these are – Galvanized steel, Galvalume Steel, and Weathering steel.
This metal material is flexible to use plus comparatively, this is less expensive. Since steel material is recyclable, this a great choice for both residential and commercial purposes. Here are some advantages of steel roofing –
- The most appealing aspect of steel metal roofing is – you can choose the color you love. It comes in different colors and these are pre-painted which allows versatility. So you can purchase a metal by matching your home.
- This is a quality metal yet an affordable option. And this is rust-resistant material.
- Steel roofing especially the Galvalume roofing can be forming any type according to your project.
The drawback of Steel roofing –
- Due to the sun UV exposure, the color may fade away and this will work the best when this has no interaction with other materials.
If you live in coastal climates area then Aluminum metal roofs would be ideal for you. That’s because aluminum is resistant to salt corrosion that other’s materials are not. This is the only material that can react to any atmospheric conditions and this feature protects this material.
The inner layer of the aluminum creates aluminum oxide and it protects the metal frame from any future corrosion. When you have aluminum for your roof, you don’t need to worry about the corrosion at all.
Let’s cover some benefits of using aluminum roofing –
- Aluminum means highly recyclable and around the world, this is very popular. This metal is very lightweight but this is very strong.
- This is great for coastal areas as you can see plus good for rainfall conditions as well. And the price is affordable for this metal.
Aluminum roofing drawback –
- Most of the installers recommend – do not use this in its natural color. Over time it doesn’t have its original color and becomes spotty. So you can use resin-coated or panels.
Copper is considered the grandfather of metal roofing and this used around the world for more than centuries. Compared to other materials, copper materials are durable plus ideal for the environment.
Copper metal is soft so this is prone to damage easily. And copper tends to expand with temperature which is not ideal.
This is an expensive metal material, if you have any budgetary issue then you can choose other material.
The grandfather of metal has many benefits, here we shared some of them –
- Copper is an energy-efficient metal that helps cut down the cost of energy bills, the great benefit, isn’t it? Furthermore, this metal is durable as well.
- The lightweight feature makes this easy to handle and you have to put less stress.
Drawbacks of copper roofing –
- Like zinc metal copper also expensive but with proper installation, this will last more than 100 years.
- Another drawback for copper is – during heating, this expands itself.
Zinc is an amazing material that lasts more than 100 years, it has the feature of scratches over time. Zinc has natural properties that are one of the favorite materials for commercial projects since zinc can changes shapes. Moreover, you can clean as well as control this for extend.
Zinc is also a recyclable material like steel which makes this an extremely green material. But this is a pricey option yet you should consider this since this will last for many years to come.
Here are some pros of Zinc, read them so that you find the best one for your roof –
- The zinc roof is very famous for this longevity. Depending on the quality of installation, this can last more than 150 years.
- Zinc is an eco-friendly metal so this produces less toxic than other materials. This has its protective layer that prevents this from any corrosion or scratching.
The drawback for Zinc roofing –
- Zinc roofing is expensive than other metal, but remember, this will lasts for decades plus it requires less maintenance.
Usually, tin is used for DIY building material so you won’t find Tin as a building material option. But if you want to create a DIY roof then this could be your choice.
These were 5 of the material for the metal roofing, metal has versatile options so you can choose the one you like. If you are determined to make a metal roof then you should consider a few things so that you get the best one.
The Size of Roof
The size of your roof is very important as you won’t get a perfect roof until you have the material with the perfect size.
Style of your Roof
The different roof has a different style so choose the style of your roof wisely. Choose a style that is much stronger so that it can withstand in rain and high winds.
The Gauge of your Roof
The gauge is important, choose a thick gauge for your roof. As this will provide the maximum protection that ensures easy to work on the roof.
Now that you know different metal material for your roof, so get the materials that suit your roof the best. Also, consider the cost for the metal you are choosing and the durability as well. And make sure to always hire the professional to install the roof.