Beautiful Succulents for Your Home
Succulents are not limited to a single plant family or genus. Rather, numerous plant species around the globe have the ability to store water and survive in hostile regions. Thanks to their unpretentiousness, the survivors are a team-minded companion for room gardeners who does not constantly insist on caring benefits. Here you can get to know representative species that cause a sensation when they are shown on the windowsill.
Cacti – Bizarre Archetypes with a Thorn Dress
Cacti are the most famous representatives of succulent plants. Within this multifaceted family, there are tiny things from a few centimeters to giants that stretch 10 meters and higher towards the sky. The following species are at the top of the list of the most popular indoor plants because they showcase themselves with a furious combination of bizarre shapes, beautiful flowers and colorful thorns:
- Golden ball cactus (Echinocactus grusonii) with golden yellow thorns and bright yellow flowers
- Old man’s head (Cephalocereus senilis) with white hairy, columnar body and pink funnel-shaped flowers
- Christmas cactus (Schlumbergera), leaf cactus without thorns and with a breathtaking abundance of flowers at Christmas time
The magical ‘Queen of the Night’ (Selenicereus grandiflorus) should not be missing in this selection. At night, up to 30 cm large, salmon-colored flowers develop on their slender, climbing tendrils, giving off a seductive scent.
King Agave – Royal Beauty for the Windowsill
Representing the fascinating family of agaves, we present the king agave (Agave victoriae-reginae). It forms a dense rosette with its dark green, white edged sword blades. In contrast to other agaves, the leaf edges are smooth. Only at the tips are there 2 cm long end spines. With a maximum height of 50 cm, the king agave is one of the most beautiful succulent indoor plants .
Carrion Flower – Flowers with a Distinctive Fragrance
A superlative succulent comes from the silk plant family. The large-flowered carrion flower (Stapelia gigantea) trumps with 40 cm large flowers, whose attraction nobody can escape. Their light yellow basic color shows numerous red horizontal stripes. In addition, the petals are covered with purple hairs. Since the exotic pretiose grows to a height of 30 to 50 cm, it is actually a prime example of representative species – if it weren’t for the unpleasant smell of carrion.
Thick Leaf Plants – Floral Jewelry for your Home
The thick-leaf family has a wide variety of representative species for greening living spaces. To make your choice easier, we have put together the most beautiful specimens for you:
- Money tree (Crassula ovata), shrub-like ornamental wood with thick, shiny green, oval ornamental leaves
- Gold stonecrop (Sedum floriferum), graceful ground cover for bowls and troughs with golden yellow flowers
- Aeonium arboreum trumps with dark wine-red leaf rosettes and yellowish-white flowers
A classic among the most beautiful thick leaf plants for home is Flaming Katy (Kalanchoe blossfeldiana). The succulent ornamental plant from Madagascar has everything we could want from a representative houseplant. With a height of 30 cm and a long-lasting spring bloom, the succulent plant is equally suitable for flower pots and traffic lights. In their fleshy leaves, the plant creates water supplies so they do not limp when her gardener fails to water from time to time.
Spurge – Wild Charm with a Succulent Character
Because it has numerous representative species, the entire spurge genus was named Perennial of the Year in 2013. As the following selection shows, all Euphorbia deserve the title of succulent beauty queen.
- Candelabra spurge (Euphorbia abyssinica), majestic giant with angular shoots that can reach the ceiling
- Baseball spurge (Euphorbia obesa) attracts everyone’s attention with its spherical body
- Crown of Thorns (Euphorbia milii var. Milii), poisonous and thorny, but with a beautiful flower in the middle of winter
- Pencil cactus (Euphorbia tirucalli), richly branched shrub whose pencil-thin shoots are reminiscent of tuning forks
The spurge family has several representative species for the Christmas season. In addition to the spiny Crown of Thorns, the poinsettia (Euphorbia pulcherrima) conquered a regular place on the winter flower bench. In the bright location with a pleasant 20 degrees Celsius, the flowering period extends from November to February.
Grain Herbs Give Us Succulent Hanging Plants
Representative species among succulents are not limited to an appearance along the window sill. The following species from the ragwort family are predestined for the spectacular decoration of traffic lights and hanging baskets:
- String of Pearls (Senecio rowleyanus) with spherical, green leaves along thin shoots up to 100 cm long
- String of Tears (Senecio herreianus) impresses with gray-green, red-striped, thick leaves on 70 cm long tendrils