You will find pests in all kinds of shapes and sizes. Also, they can cause various kind of damages to your home that can cause damage to your property. Therefore, it is very important to consider any top-grade pest control company for your home and office and that you should never neglect.
If you choose any wrong type of pest control then it will result in more pests in your home, and in the worst-case scenario, it may also present you a fatal risk.
Therefore, it will be good for you to be aware of various dos and don’ts about pest control so that you can ensure that your home remains well protected from such pest infestations, and also you and your family may remain safe.
Dealing with various pests can always be quite stressful and also time-consuming. If you fail to address them quickly and correctly, you will end up with unwanted consequences. It is always better to get in touch with a reliable pest control service to nip the problem from the bud.
If you are in need of a professional company in Ireland, you can contact Owl Pest Control Dublin. They have a great track record of providing excellent services in Dublin, and other close by areas like Meath, Wicklow, and Kildare. Their professionals have the expertise of detecting and eliminating all types of pests like mice, ants, rats, cockroaches, carpet beetles, flies, wasps, moths, and silverfish. People can call them up to get free estimate for the job.
Let us first list out what are the various dos that are needed for better pest control to get rid of your pest infestation:
Prevent your premise from pest infestation
You must take all possible precautionary measures that can help in diminishing the potential of any pest infestations around your home. The following simple yet effective tips can help you to keep any pests away:
- Clean up all cluttered spaces and also remove excess furniture.
- Seal all cracks and holes where they can become entryways for pests to your home by using sealant, wire mesh, or steel wool.
- Always store your food items within sealed containers.
- Remove all trash from both inside and outside of your home regularly, and store them in a tightly covered garbage can. All cardboard boxes and also newspaper must be removed from the home.
- Try to fix all leaky plumbing faucets and never allow water to get collected anywhere in your home.
- Never leave any pet food or water out overnight.
Know well about the products that you will use for pest control
Nowadays the market is full of many different products related to pest control and hence often it is too difficult to identify which product to choose for your needs. While using any pest control chemicals at home, you must read all labels very carefully and know about safety warnings!
Some pesticides and insecticides may contain a few toxins that can be extremely dangerous for animals and humans, particularly for young children. So, you must thoroughly examine all the product labels. Only use that much of the product that you need.
If you want to take pest control measures at home then make sure that you follow the following safety guidelines:
- Always keep your children and pets away from where chemicals and pesticides have been used.
- Use pesticides only in targeted areas, and not all over the places.
- Prefer to stick to any ready-to-use products. This way you need not come in contact with any dangerous chemicals.
- Always use only those chemicals that are approved for home application. You can check the label to find where the product should be used.
- Make sure that you safely dispose of all leftover pesticides and also pesticide containers.
Get to the bottom of the pest problem
Many people often spring into action as soon as they see a pest without considering the actual problem source. Once you find the presence of a pest, then you must spend some time researching the type of pest so that you know with whom you are fighting.
If you have any doubt then contact any local expert in pest control to get your home inspected. Specialized knowledge can save your time and help you to find a proper remedy.
Use all your pest control products safely and correctly
Always follow these safety measures:
- When it is absolutely necessary then only then use fogging devices.
- Read all the safety controls as mentioned on the labels before you use them.
- Use proper masks and gloves while handling dangerous chemicals.
- Keep your pets and kids away while applying any chemicals.
- Only use approved chemicals.
Dispose of all the leftovers in a very careful manner
- By reading the label first know how to dispose of your pesticide and also the container.
- Call the authority for waste disposal for getting proper information about pesticides.
Always consult experts
In case, your pest problem is very acute then instead of applying DIY methods, it is better to call any pest control experts and let them handle the problem. A professional will be far more experienced and also has access to superior pest control method.
Inform your neighbours if you are using pest control
As a courtesy, you must also inform your neighbours if your home gets heavily infested with many pests so that they too can take any suitable measures to mitigate any risk to their properties.
Also, it will be good for you too as the pests can come from your neighbour too even after you have taken pest control measures.
Now following are the list of don’ts for your pest control measures
Do not use outdoor chemicals indoor
The chemicals used for the same pests for indoor and outdoor can vary. Outdoor chemicals usually are much stronger than what is used inside. So you must store them separately and avoid mixing them. Also, avoid using outdoor chemicals inside of your house as that can be too dangerous for your family and pets.
Do not keep chemicals at a place that your pets and kids can easily get access to
Always keep all your pesticides and chemicals in a safer place that is beyond the reach of your pets and young children.
Do not mix up different pest control products
Don’t ever try to mix up different types of chemicals hoping that they will become more powerful and effective. Not only it is very dangerous but it can also become ineffective.
Do not wait for the last minute to take action against pests
Do not wait till the pest infestation gets to its worst limit. You must start taking action in the beginning stage to eradicate them effectively.
Don’t assume that every method used are eco-friendly
There are certainly many eco-friendly methods available for pest control methods, but never assume that all pest control professionals are using them. You must always ask the pest control service provider before proceeding.
Don’t use excess quantity of chemicals
Don’t assume that using an excess amount of chemicals and pesticides will offer you better results. Rather it can put the health of your family in danger.
Don’t transfer your pesticides to some other containers
You must always keep pesticides in their original container and avoid transferring them. Any accidental spill can always become a big safety hazard. Also, you must avoid reusing these containers for any other purposes.
Also, avoid storing excess pesticides in any food/beverage container. This may often be mistaken as a beverage and can be consumed by your children.
What you must do for keeping away pests from your home?
Besides the above dos and don’t you can also take the following measures to keep the pests away from your homes and living areas:
- You must close any gaps or cracks that you have in your premises, which is the basic measure that you should undertake to maintain your home completely pest-free. You must check for any possible cracks under your sink, doors, and window sills.
- It is important to maintain and clean your garden and yard to keep pests away from the home. Also, look for the areas within your yard that may be holding stagnant water to prevent any possible mosquito infestation. Make sure that all your land is fully aerated so that any water source may get absorbed rather than having standing water.
- Regularly repair and clean all your drains. Drains can be a breeding ground of pests and hence make sure that your drains are regularly cleaned otherwise soon they may find a way inside of the homes.
- You must also get rid of all dirt and clutter where it can become a breeding or entry point for pests and also grow in numbers. Often a junk like piles of papers or newspapers can also work as a breeding place for pests and all such materials should be removed.
- Fix any kind of plumbing issues-particularly in the kitchen or your washrooms. Even plumbing issues may cause water accumulation in your homes that can lead to an infestation of pests.
- All foods stored in your fridge and kitchen must be kept inside a sealed and airtight container. This can become a very easy place for certain pests to get access and start multiplying.
All homeowners must focus on preventing any pest infestation by following the above-described measures to protect their homes always. Pest infestation at home is not only unhygienic and hazardous to health, but also embarrassing and hence must be dealt with immediately.