While giving birth to a baby every mother understands the importance and responsibility of every choice related to the child as it will influence his or her health in the long run. Mainly, it’s connected to the way of feeding and food that a little one consumes. It should be enriched with different nutrients such as healthy fats, vitamins, minerals, carbohydrates and others. But you also should be conscious about some ingredients that must be avoided in order not to harm the sensitive and tender baby’s organism. So now, you will get to know some of them.
Before all else, let’s talk about first months of life. It is a widespread fact that breast milk is the best choice for the baby. Be sure that it provides your baby with all the best and necessary things. But in a case of impossible breastfeeding baby formulas can be great alternatives. But, unfortunately, not all of them are safe and beneficial for little ones. Just consider the composition of the formula and avoid the following toxic ingredients:
- Heavy metals – always be careful about them as they may harm your infant’s mind, brain, immune system and cardiovascular system.
- Soy – some baby formulas are still based on soy but it is better not to use it for kids. Its effect may be negative in the future, causing developmental problems.
- Preservatives – they are used for a longer shelf life of the formula. But it certainly will not bring anything useful for the child, but rather the opposite. So be careful as they may cause allergies, baby eczema and other health issues.
- Corn Syrup and sugar – try to avoid these elements as long as it’s possible. Corn syrup and sugar are high in carbohydrates and definitely will not bring any nutritional value to your little one. Moreover, using it children can be at risk of heart disease, metabolic syndrome and diabetes.
- Genetically Modified Ingredients (GMOs) – in our modern world using GMOs is just unacceptable because of its many negative side effects. So remember to check that they are absent in a baby formula that you choose for your loved one.
While your baby grows up to that stage when it’s possible to introduce some solid food, which is approximately 6 months old, you should remember about some ingredients that can somehow harm your baby.
First of all, be sure that the texture of food is appropriate for your baby’s abilities. Do not give your child foods that are too hard, chewy, or too large. The child is not able to chew carefully and may choke so it’s up to you. Puree, soft fruits and vegetables and food cut into small pieces will always be a good option. And you can rest assured that your child will not have any problems with consumption.
What about some foods that should be avoided while introducing solids?
- It is highly recommended not to use any form of honey as it can lead to muscle weakness, poor sucking and decreased muscle tone.
- The next ingredient is cow’s milk that is definitely hard to digest for babies and can cause damage to the baby’s kidneys. It is also related to some dairy products such as cottage cheese. So your baby can try it but only in small portions.
- Don’t feed your little one with egg whites under the age of one. They may cause some allergic reactions and baby eczemas. At the same time, egg yolks are safer for babies.
- One of the most common allergens is citrus fruits, so it is best to reduce their consumption in the first months of your baby’s life. Citrus fruits are full of vitamin C and acid, so it can cause upset tummy or reflux.
There aren’t a lot of ingredients that should be avoided for the first year of a baby’s life, so, it will be easy for you to follow this diet. Keep well and be healthy.