2020 Top 5 Places to Visit When You Travel to Kansas City
As the gem of the Midwest, Kansas City deserves more attention than just its status as flyover country. This eclectic city straddles the border of Missouri and Kansas with parts of the city located in each state. Numerous fountains, jazz music, mouth-watering BBQ, and a vibrant arts scene are distinguishing features of this city. Here are five things to put at the top of your travel bucket list when visiting this charming destination.
- Country Club Plaza: This stunning plaza is the premier shopping and dining destination of the region. The plaza covers 15 blocks, delivering a myriad of high-end retail options and cuisines suited to meet a variety of tastes and preferences. The Country Club Plaza is also known for its gorgeous classical Spanish architecture and fountains that dot the landscape of this destination. In addition, visitors will find over 30 statues, tile mosaics, and wall art. You do not need to even step inside a store or restaurant to enjoy the beauty of the Country Club Plaza. You can even sign up to enjoy the surroundings with a dedicated walking tour. The entertainment district is especially popular during the holidays when it is all aglow in twinkling lights.
4706 Broadway Blvd, KC, MO 64112
- Union Station: As the heart and soul of the city, the downtown Union Station complex has it all. Built in 1914, this historical building is home to many of the city’s most popular attractions. Step into the Grand Hall and marvel at the 95-foot ceiling with its three 3,500-pound chandeliers and the iconic six-foot wide clock. Union Station also offers the Science City museum, a planetarium, and more. The KC Rail Experience delivers an interesting glimpse into the history of the railroad in this country. You will find a bevy of food options in the station, making it easy to spend the entire day exploring this complex. When night falls, Union Station and many of its fellow downtown buildings boast stunning LED lighting features that are sure to impress.
30 W Pershing Rd, KC, MO 64108
- Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art: The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art is home to approximately 40,000 works of art. The collection covers a myriad of genres from ancient times to contemporary collections. The museum is also known for its vast collection of Asian art. Giant shuttlecocks greet visitors as they walk up to the sprawling lawn of the complex. The building itself is a true beauty with its neoclassical style that rises from the lawn with an imposing tone. One of the best things about this museum is that it is completely free to visitors.
4525 Oak St, KC, MO 64111
- Joe’s Kansas City BBQ: Kansas City is a hotbed for delicious barbeque. With so many top-notch choices, it can be challenging to narrow down your options in this city. The cult-like favorite Joe’s Kansas City BBQ is an institution, making it worth your time to stop in for a meal. There are three locations scattered throughout the metro area. If you want to visit the original institution, head to the location on 47th. The restaurant used to operate out of a gas station but has since upgraded. Do not be surprised to see a line when you arrive. The most popular dish is the Z-Man sandwich, featuring a kaiser roll piled high with thin-sliced brisket and topped with barbeque sauce, smoked provolone, and two onion rings.
3002 W 47th Ave, KC, KS 66103
- Worlds of Fun: If you are lucky enough to visit the area during the warmer months, be sure to visit Worlds of Fun for a host of family fun. This 235-acre theme park offers rides for all ages and interests. Thrill-seekers will appreciate the Mamba roller coaster, one of the fastest coasters of its kind. The classic Fury of the Nile is a raging river ride guaranteed to get you wet. Kids will love the pint-sized attractions and fun waiting for them at Camp Snoopy. The adjacent Oceans of Fun is a great way to cool off when temperatures begin to soar. Visitors will gain access to both parks with just one price.
4545 Worlds Of Fun Ave, KC, MO 64161
Whatever your travel fancy, you will find what you are looking for in this hospitable city. Be sure to allow plenty of time to discover all that Kansas City has to offer its guests so that you do not miss out on any of the fun.