Monday, May 10, 2021

Latest Posts

How to Get Granny Flat Approvals?

There are two ways to get the granny flat approved –

  1. Through a traditional development application (DA) process through the local Council.
  2. Or you could use a private certifier to approve the development through a complying development certificate( CDC) if it meets all the criteria of affordable rental housing SEPP(ARHS) 2009.

Granny Flat Solutions is the only multi award-winning granny flat company with over 13 awards under their belt.They have been successful in lodging and receiving granny flat approvals – the DA approvals through most councils in Sydney and specialises in CDC approvals.

Complying Development Certificate (CDC)

In 2009 the NSW state government introduced affordable rental housing SEPP, an effort to increase the number of secondary dwellings across Sydney, simplifying the approval process. To get this target they created a list of specific criteria to meet for each dwelling and if the design meets each of the criteria, then a private certificate has authority to approve the development within 14 days of lodgement, without any need to lodge a DA through the local Council.

The policy covers items such as lot width, property sizes, floor areas, setbacks, building heights, landscaping ratios and many other requirements which property must comply with, in order to get approval through CDC. Private certifiers are bound by the rules of the ARHS and cannot vary any controls. Any variation to these controls requires a DA.

Site Requirements

To save your time and stress, an expert approvals team prepares and submit all the applications and documents required to the private certifier and obtain approval for the new granny flat.

In 2009, the NSW government released Affordable Housing State Environmental Planning Policy which permits all residential home owners with property larger than 450 square metres to build a granny flat on their property, if the property is considered to be complying. It is a small house which is built in the backyard of an already existing house.

Homeowners wanting to build granny flat in their backyard are no longer required to get Council approval as long as their application meets the minimum complying development requirements set out.

If your property does not meet all the conditions required the granny fat can be approved by lodging a development application which can be approved by your local council. Your design consultant can take care of all this process for you and submit all the applications and documents on your behalf.

Development Applications (DA)

If you don’t meet all the objectives listed in the ARHS, it does not mean that you cannot build a granny flat. You can still lodge a DA to your local Council for approval. This is a longer and more costly process than a CDC application but most councils are generally accepting of granny flats, and are likely to approve a development if it meets most of the objectives.

Councils have the authority to allow minor deviations from the ARHS in some cases. Some councils have their own guidelines and rules regarding granny flat developments. In some instances you may be eligible to build slightly larger dwelling, reduce the building setback or increase the height of the building. These situations will always be to the discretion of the local Council.

Latest Posts

Don't Miss