4 Healthy Oils to add to your Dog’s Diet
Your furry friend might not be getting all the nutrients it needs through the regular diet, and this might be affecting its overall health. Though dog foods are packed with the essential nutrients, it’s never a bad idea to take the extra mile for your pet’s health. For many years, humans have been drooling over oils because of their nutritional benefits. It turns out that oils can be helpful in maintaining good health in humans and animals.
However, not all oils are good for maintaining your pup’s health and thus it is imperative that you make a careful selection of oils to include in your dog’s diet. To help you make the right choice, we have made a list of the best 4 healthy oils to add to your dog’s diet. We also recommend going through the Keith Myers recommendation for the best CBD dog treats.
1. CBD Oil:
CBD oil is derived from hemp and cannabis and it doesn’t contain delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). THC is the compound present in marijuana that gives it a psychoactive effect. CBD oil is derived from hemp and marijuana and thus it doesn’t produce the high. CBD interacts with the receptors present in the central nervous system and helps maintain a healthy mental and physical state. The following are the main benefits of CBD oil for your dog.
- It can help treat pain and inflammation such as neuropathic pain and arthritis. As your dog ages, it gets lazy and dull because of weaker bones and joints. CBD oil has inflammatory properties that help reduce such pain caused by arthritis, hip dysplasia, etc
- It can improve the appetite in dogs by reducing nausea. Normally the loss of appetite in dogs occurs due to nausea and CBD oil has anti-nausea effects that help get rid of the loss of hunger condition.
- It has an anti-anxiety impact on dogs. Your dog may seem restless, stressed out, and impatient at times, some anxiety symptoms include barking, running, and licking of lips. CBD oil helps in addressing such problems by keeping the dog relaxed and calmed.
- Seeing your dog go through seizures is very painful. Though CBD oil isn’t a cure for this condition, it helps in controlling various symptoms related to seizures and epilepsy.
2. Fish Oil:
If you’re trying to keep your dog’s coat in a healthy and beautiful condition? It’s time to add fish to its diet as it contains the essential fatty acids; EPA and DHA. Fish oil is highly recommended by most vets as it not only helps keep your dog healthy but also improves its appearance. Consider these benefits of fish oil for dogs:
- It contains Omega-3 fatty acids that are helpful in reducing inflammation caused due to inflammation. This means, your dog won’t have any itching, dandruff, and rough skin.
- It helps in soothing arthritis and improves your dog’s memory as it is readily absorbed by the dog’s body.
- It helps with muscle loss.
- It keeps the dog’s coat healthy and shiny.
3. Coconut oil:
Coconut oil is highly beneficial for dogs as it offers a healthier alternative to other edible oils. We mostly used Trans fats and processed saturated fats in our diet and these types of oils can be harmful not only for humans but for dogs too. For this reason, extra-virgin coconut oil is very popular for its nutritional benefits. Following are the benefits of including coconut oil to your dog’s diet:
- It has immune-boosting and anti-inflammatory properties and thus can be used if your pup is suffering from some kind of pain or disease.
- It has antifungal properties that help to treat atopic dermatitis and dry skin. Because of its anti-fungal characteristics, it will also help heal the wounds more quickly.
- The coconut oil may also help heal the cognitive dysfunctions. It basically provides a separate pathway for absorption of MCTs that treats conditions like lymphangiectasia (poor bowel absorption) and inflammatory bowel disease.
- Though it doesn’t contain omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, it has other compounds that prevent cancer, weight loss, and various periodontal diseases.
4. Flaxseed oil:
The flaxseed oil is rich in alpha-linolenic omega-3s, which is a compound known for boosting heart health. This oil is also very healthy and you must include it to your dog’s diet if you are willing to improve its overall health condition. This oil is a good substitute for fish oil too, particularly for those dogs who are allergic to fish. Consider the following benefits of flaxseed oil:
- It reduces inflammation and provides allergy relief sneezing in dogs.
- It helps maintain a healthy and shiny coat and improves the skin texture in dogs.
- It contains large amounts of plant-based triglyceride which is rich in fatty acid. This acid plays an important role in improving a dog’s diet.